http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/jailed-ex-mp-ni-luh-mariani-tirtasari-at-mercy-of-indonesian-justice/story-e6frg6so-1226020718915

Jailed ex-MP, Ni Luh Mariani Tirtasari, at mercy of Indonesian justice
From: The Australian
March 14, 2011 12:00AM

THE mills of Indonesian justice grind slowly and they grind exceedingly
lumpily; just ask Ni Luh Mariani Tirtasari.

Ms Mariani is a diabetic 69-year-old grandmother, today spending her 46th day
in Pondok Bambu prison, in a cell where she says 17 people share a single squat
lavatory.

She is a former MP and a suspect in Mirandagate, one of the more blatant of the
various political bribery scandals under investigation by the Corruption
Eradication Commission (KPK).

Ms Mariani says she's innocent and the Australian government, which helps train
KPK personnel, should pay more critical attention to a watchdog that "violates
human rights, (is) controlled by political interests and cannot prevent or
reduce corruption incidents".

Her son, Wayan Raimantera, who lives on the Gold Coast, says: "My mum thinks
that because KPK's investigators are policemen, they are reluctant to pursue
key people in this case because of their high positions."

Mirandagate is so called because in June 2004 somebody dished out 24 billion
rupiah ($2.73 billion) for the parliamentary finance committee to choose Bank
Indonesia official Miranda Goeltom as the central bank's deputy governor.

The source of the wads of Rp50,000 travellers cheques has not been named but
they were allegedly distributed by businesswoman Nunun Nurbaeti Daradjatun,
wife of Prosperous Justice Party MP Adang Daradjatun.

He used to be deputy chief of the national police.

On January 28, KPK rounded up 19 former MPs; 12 of them, including Ms Mariani,
from Megawati Sukarnoputri's Indonesian Democratic Party-Struggle (PDI-P) and
seven from Golkar, and detained them as suspects.

Ms Miranda remains free, though banned from travelling abroad, and is still
designated only as "witness".

She has, however, submitted herself to KPK questioning.

Ms Nunun, a "social friend", disappeared from Jakarta early last year and is
said to be in Singapore. According to her husband, she is in hospital.

Her Jakarta doctor says she is in no condition to help KPK because "Ibu Nunun's
memory is disrupted (by) chronic dementia".

KPK has sent investigators fruitlessly to Singapore - Mr Adang, the former
policeman and current parliamentarian, won't say where his wife is being
treated - but has taken no steps to legally force her return.

Meanwhile, former president Ms Megawati has haughtily ignored a summons to
appear before the KPK as a witness.

The commission won't press her, a particular disappointment to Ms Mariani and
the other PDI-P suspects, who hoped Ms Megawati's testimony could help clear
them.

Most of the PDI-P suspects in detention have testified they were given
envelopes of cheques by Dudhie Makmun Murod, the now-jailed party treasurer,
with instructions to campaign for Ms Megawati's re-election as president that
September.

Ms Mariani received an envelope containing cheques for Rp500 million. She said
she spent the funds as instructed campaigning in East Kalimantan and thought no
more of it until a PDI-P whistleblower surfaced in 2008.

"I thought it was party funds and I was told 'This is for the presidential
election' and I have a letter from the party asking me to campaign," she told
The Australian.

"I want my name cleared. I was a teacher; I worked for Kompas Gramedia (a media
conglomerate) for 30 years. I was a property manager; I earned my own way - no
hanky panky."

What pains Ms Mariani most about her detention - which may end on March 28 or
be extended another month - is that she cannot go to church.

An observant Catholic like most Flores people, she says KPK's refusal to allow
her to be escorted to mass further shows its disregard for human rights.

Her husband, Made Rigeh, laughed sharply when asked why Ms Mariani became
involved in politics.

"As far as I remember, when Megawati was suppressed during the Suharto times,
my wife was very much in sympathy and when democracy came she wanted to join
her party."