Refleksi : Kalau mereka diperlakukan manusiawi tentu tidak akan lari.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article369924.ece

Runaway maids eating into family budgets
By RIMA AL-MUKHTAR | ARAB NEWS

Published: Apr 22, 2011 22:15 Updated: Apr 22, 2011 22:15

JEDDAH: There are many reports of housemaids being abused or beaten, and
occasionally even murdered. However, there is another side to the story.

The large number of housemaids running away from their employers is causing
untold problems, including social embarrassments and additional financial
burdens for many Saudi families.

"It costs a lot to recruit a housemaid, with fees that go up to SR15,000. This
includes recruitment fees, plane ticket and visa," said Abu Faisal, a
recruitment office manager in Jeddah. "If the maid runs away, the employer
loses all the money he spent hiring her."

Maids run away for several reasons, but they are mostly greedy and search for
jobs in other households to make more money, according to Abu Faisal.

"Many maids run away from their sponsors as soon as they land in the Kingdom,
knowing that they will find a job no matter what, for people are always looking
for maids," he said.

"They know this and plan to run away before even arriving here. Sometimes they
arrange it with their friends to guarantee them a better salary," he added.

"They just need someone to recruit them and pay for their visa and ticket, and
once they are here they start looking for jobs with better wages," said Abu
Faisal.

Runaway maids accuse their previous employers of abuse and mistreatment. "My
Indonesian maid once told me that her friend was looking for work. I asked her
to bring her by so that I could hire her to work for me. Once she came I asked
about her previous job and why she left, and that's when she said that her
sponsor used to deprive her of food and did not pay her for her work," said
Moneera Al-Qahtani, housewife and mother.

"When she told me the name of her sponsor I knew she was lying, because it
turned out to be my cousin, and later I found out that she worked for him for
only two days before she ran away," Al-Qahtani added.

Frustrated employers are no longer recruiting from outside the Kingdom, but
look for help from within.  "I will no longer pay so much money, knowing that
my maid might run away and cost me even more. For years now I have been asking
my friends and family to bring me maids. I don't care if they are illegal or
don't have iqama, I only care that my house is clean and my maid does not cost
me more than SR1,000 a month," said Nahed Ibraheem, a working woman.

"I have bad experiences with maids running away even if they are treated like
my own daughters. I don't know why they have the urge to leave suddenly, even
when I tell them that I would never hold them if they wanted to go. They just
have to tell me in advance so I can arrange for another one," she added.

At least some employers see maids as a threat to their safety and private life.

"Everyone in the Kingdom looks at us as if we are spoiled and vulgar, for they
think our maids are running away because we abuse them and do not provide them
with food. They don't want to admit that we are the people who are suffering,
because we are letting complete strangers inside our houses to look into our
drawers," said Kholoud Badr, a high school teacher.

"After years I found out that my maid was a part time prostitute, offering her
services to drivers in our neighborhood. This freaked me out because I have two
young daughters, and it's not safe for them to stay at home alone. My question
is this: How can you make sure that your maid is not a psychopath or a
murderer? We don't think about these things; we only care about the service,"
she added.

Police only arrest maids who are accused of a crime, not runaways, said First
Lt. Nawaf Al-Bouq, spokesman for Jeddah police.

"According to the regulations, policemen are not allowed to get involved in the
search of maids who run away from their sponsors. We only interfere when the
employer accuses his maid of robbery or any criminal act," he said. "We then
liaise with the Passport Department to join forces and search for the suspect."

All attempts to get a response from the Passport Department failed.