Local News
Kuwait working closely with Libyan opposition, says FM

Published Date: April 26, 2011
KUWAIT: Kuwait is keen to work closely with its "brothers" in the Libyan
opposition National Transitional Council (NTC), said a senior government
official yesterday. "Action is more effective than words and we have announced
that we will work closely and continuously with the brothers in the NTC,"
Deputy Premier and Foreign Minister Sheikh Dr Mohammad Sabah Al-Sabah told
media representatives at a press conference held jointly with NTC chairperson
Mustafa Abduljalil, referring to Kuwait's urgent humanita
rian aid to the Libyan people.

The minister said that the NTC delegation's visit to Kuwait was significant,
whilst strongly condemning what the Libyan people have been subjected to by
Muammar Gadaffi's regime. "We see these [Libyan] people being exposed to this
ordeal and their fate is unknown; this is something that cannot be accepted by
the people of Kuwait," he insisted.

Sheikh Mohammad said that the talks held between His Highness the Amir Sheikh
Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah and Abduljalil during the Libyan delegation's visit
concerned the historic ties between the Libyan and Kuwaiti people, and
demonstrated Kuwait's committed to UN Resolution 1973 which imposed a no-fly
zone over the North African country to protect civilians there.

The resolution was the fruit of a call by the six GCC countries, which was
later adopted by the Arab League, Sheikh Mohammad noted. The Kuwaiti foreign
minister said that the humanitarian assistance delivered to the Libyan people
would be channeled via the NTC, "which means we will primarily be working
closely with our brothers in the NTC as the legitimate channel to delivering
this aid to the Libyan people.

Asked about a possible GCC initiative on Libya like the one extended to Yemen,
Sheikh Mohammad said that the Libyan issue is governed by UN resolutions 1970
and 1973, "and we are working within their frameworks." On the establishment of
a confederation among the GCC countries, however, Sheikh Mohammad said that the
GCC stands for unity. "We have started working together to coordinate our
policies, merging our institutions and unifying our laws and curricula...so we
are [moving] in the direction of Gulf uni
ty.

Abduljalil, meanwhile, expressed gratitude for HH the Amir's invitation to
visit Kuwait. He drew a comparison between how Kuwait "is small in size but has
big hands" and how Muammar Gaddafi has been squandering Libya's wealth on his
own inner circle. Abduljalil said the Libyans had initially staged peaceful
demonstrations to demand the establishment of a democratic and free state, in
which they could elect their own president. But, he added, these demonstrations
were opposed by "excessive and historically
unprecedented violence, rockets, aircraft and artillery...

Abdulajalil commended the GCC for supporting the Libyan revolution from the
very start, followed by the Arab League's demand to impose a no-fly zone over
Libya to protect civilians. Had Gaddafi heeded the UN resolutions to implement
a ceasefire two months ago, he said, the civilians would have been spared
violence.

The freedom fighters in Libya need arms to counter Gaddafi's forces, Abduljalil
stressed.. "We received some weapons from brotherly and friendly countries thus
enabling Misrata to be free...We are looking for more weapons specially the
anti-shield arms which we did not get so far." The NTC head also praised NATO's
role in protecting civilians. NATO is commanding the air operation against
Gaddafi's forces.

Asked about the possible prosecution of Gaddafi if he steps down, Abduljalil
said that sending any person for "a fair trial is normal and will be within
human rights." Rejecting any bids to partition Libya, the NTC chief said the
opposition has evidence that Gaddafi used mercenaries, snipers and military
exports from other countries, which he did not identify by name, to attack the
Libyan people. Abduljalil said that while he would welcome any initiative that
would lead to the departure of Gaddafi and his
sons, "there is no mediation in that sense on the ground. - KUNA