http://arabnews.com/middleeast/article382150.ece

Vatican envoy in Libya criticizes NATO bombing
By VANESSA GERA | AP

Published: May 4, 2011 22:58 Updated: May 4, 2011 22:59

VATICAN CITY: The Vatican's delegate in Tripoli is calling for a halt to NATO
air strikes in Libya and for the West to negotiate with Muammar Qaddafi's
government, insisting the Libyan leader doesn't oppose dialogue.

Monsignor Giovanni Martinelli, the Holy See's longtime apostolic vicar in
Tripoli, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday
that he has drawn his inspiration from the pope's desire for peace.

Though Pope Benedict XVI has called for dialogue and diplomacy to prevail over
warfare in the North African country, Martinelli, an Italian who was born in
Libya in 1942, has gone much further by directly and repeatedly criticizing the
NATO airstrikes aimed at helping rebels waging an uprising against Qaddafi's
42-year rule.

Martinelli also attended the recent funeral of Qaddafi's son after seeing the
body in the morgue.

"I am speaking in the name of my conscience and in the name of my role as
pastor and also in the name of the Gospels," Martinelli said.

The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, praised Martinelli as an
authoritative voice on the situation in Libya who is tending as a pastor to his
people under difficult circumstances. He said the Holy See in no way distances
itself from his remarks.

Martinelli, who was posted in Tripoli just a year after Qaddafi seized power in
1969, said the West has no right to "enter a country and eliminate the leader
because he is suspected of crimes." A NATO air strike over the weekend
destroyed most of Qaddafi's family compound, prompting Libyan accusations that
the alliance is trying to assassinate Qaddafi. NATO insists it is not trying to
kill Qaddafi but is trying to end his ability to harm Libyan civilians.

Libyan officials said Qaddafi was in the bombed building and survived unharmed,
while one of his sons and three grandchildren were killed.

Martinelli attended the funeral and earlier was at the morgue with clergymen
from other denominations, a scene broadcast on Libyan state TV. The group stood
near metal gurneys holding two adult-sized bodies covered with green Libyan
flags and two smaller bundles covered by white sheets.

Martinelli was seen blowing a kiss at one point.

"The bombardments were clearly seeking to remove the leader - and I cannot
share this position on eliminating the leader," Martinelli told The AP in a
telephone interview from Libya. "It is the people that must be able decide
whether or not to change him." He said he interprets Benedict's calls for
diplomacy to prevail as a clear indication that the pope opposes the NATO
strikes and supports negotiations with Qaddafi - though Benedict has not spoken
in such direct terms.

In his Easter Sunday message last month, Pope Benedict said: "In the current
conflict in Libya, may diplomacy and dialogue replace arms, and may those who
suffer as a result of the conflict be given access to humanitarian aid." There
is some disagreement among Catholics over the issue.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said the military intervention
in Libya appears to meet the criteria in Catholic teaching for a "just war."
But Martinelli insisted: "We are strong when we can find dialogue and Qaddafi
is not against dialogue." That position contrasts with that of NATO, which has
refused a call by the African Union to negotiate a cease-fire between Qaddafi's
regime and the rebels trying to oust him. NATO refuses to cut back its
operations to give space to diplomatic initiatives.

Though Martinelli strongly condemned NATO's bombings, he refused to condemn
outright Ghadafi's violence. When prodded on Qaddafi's crimes, he would only
say: "I criticize all that is bad. I have only said that violence brings
violence. So let's try to use dialogue to overcome divisions." Lombardi, the
Vatican spokesman, said the Holy See supports Martinelli.

"He is a person who lives there, who is an authority who knows the situation.
We think his humanitarian concerns are perfectly right to be taken into
consideration," Lombardi said.

Martinelli was born to Italian parents during the years when Italy ruled Libya.
He joined the Franciscans in 1964 and was ordained a priest in Italy in 1967.
Pope John Paul II elevated him to bishop's rank in 1985.