From: sunny <am...@tele2.se>
To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com
Sent: Wed, June 1, 2011 1:49:17 AM
Subject: [proletar] Egyptian General Defends "Virginity Checks"

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/05/31/egypt_virginity_checks_egypt_general_admits_female_protesters_we.html?from=rss/&wpisrc=newsletter_slatest

Egyptian General Defends "Virginity Checks"
"We wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place."
By Josh Voorhees | Posted Tuesday, May. 31, 2011, at 9:33 AM EDT
14
A senior Egyptian general has reportedly admitted that women arrested at a
demonstration earlier this year were subjected to "virginity checks," saying
that the practice was necessary to protect soldiers from accusations of rape.

"We didn't want them to say we had sexually assaulted or raped them, so we
wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place," the unidentified
general told CNN. "None of them were."

Egyptian military officials had previously denied allegations that soldiers had
conducted the "virginity tests" on women detained during a protest in Tahrir
Square that occured nearly a month after Egypt's longtime president, Hosni
Mubarak, stepped down.

The allegations first surfaced in an Amnesty International report published in
the aftermath of the March 9 protest. The report claimed that in addition to
the
virginity checks, a number of female demonstrators were also beaten,
strip-searched, and threatened with prostitution charges.

More cringe-worthy comments from the general:

"The girls who were detained were not like your daughter or mine," he told CNN.
"These were girls who had camped out in tents with male protesters in Tahrir
Square, and we found in the tents Molotov cocktails and (drugs)."

CNN spoke with one of the women named in the Amnesty report, Salwa Hosseini, a
20-year-old hairdresser, after the allegations first surfaced. Her take:

"They wanted to teach us a lesson," Hosseini said. "They wanted to make us feel
that we do not have dignity."