http://www.dawn.com/2011/06/25/the-search-for-good-news.html

The search for good news
By Abbas Nasir | From the Newspaper
MILITARY courts in Bahrain have started handing down harsh punishments
including life sentences to demonstrators who took to the streets earlier this
year to call for democratic change in the small Gulf kingdom.

Standing stripped of all political rights in Bahrain the Shia majority was
clearly inspired by the `Arab Spring` which saw popular protests forcing the
collapse of powerful autocratic leaders in Tunisia and Egypt.

The United States and its allies, which ostensibly supported the uprisings once
they were under way in the two North African countries and called on their
leaders to bow to popular will, followed the same path in the third when
protesters took to the streets.

In fact, when the Libyan regime started a crackdown against the protesters, the
UN Security Council was asked to quickly approve a resolution authorising the
use of force to protect the civilian demonstrators from the `savagery` of the
Qadhafi forces.

As we speak, western powers and some of their Middle Eastern client states
continue their air strikes against Libya in an unsuccessful effort to dislodge
Muammar Qadhafi from power. Their mandate was to protect protesters who have
made little headway despite receiving arms from the West and incognito special
forces` support.

In Syria, Bashar al-Assad`s stranglehold over power remains firm but there is
considerable dissent manifesting itself on the streets. And the legendary
brutality of the Syrian Baathist regime is often on display as dissent is dealt
with firmly and summarily. The western world is rightly alarmed and calling for
change.

The peaceful demonstrations in Bahrain were slowly but surely eroding the
authority of the king and, in full view of the world`s media, threatening to
upset the status quo. At this stage, the yearning for democracy sweeping the
Arab world appeared to have the potential to completely upset the power
equilibrium in the region.

We know what happened next. Thousands of heavily armed Saudi National Guard
troops started to pour into Bahrain in their armoured carriers, flashing
victory signs; a clampdown ensued, entire neighbourhoods were besieged and
house-to-house searches initiated to round up dissidents in their hundreds.

And then the sham trials conducted by the military. Sham because where else in
the world would even doctors and nurses working in hospital emergencies be held
to account for treating badly battered and bleeding demonstrators.

So, where do we figure in all this? A client state of the West we may be but
the only missions our air force is launching are against militant targets on
our own soil and territory though often in lawless, ungovernable parts of the
country.

But we don`t have to use the air force where our navy can be equally effective.
Yes, Pakistan Navy`s Bahria Foundation is recruiting ex-sailors to serve in the
Bahrain security forces whose primary role is to ensure that dissent remains
under wraps.

Of course, we are so used to living on an ad hoc basis and are so bereft of
vision that we don`t realise that repression can delay the inevitable and no
more. Imagine how welcome and popular Pakistan/Pakistanis will be in Bahrain
once change is a reality there rather than an aspiration.

We don`t care. Voices of sanity can cry themselves hoarse but we won`t budge an
inch. We are perfect. If anyone watched the (no doubt welcome for the hostages
and their families) spectacle of the homecoming of the released crew of the
(merchant vessel) MV Suez, they`ll know what`s meant by over-egging the pudding.

The merchant ship was boarded by Somali pirates near the Horn of Africa in
August last year and its 22-strong crew held hostage by them till ransom was
paid earlier this month. The freed hostages among them Pakistanis, Indians,
Egyptians and Sri Lankans were then picked up by PNS Babar.

Babar was on patrol duty in the area as part of a multinational flotilla to
check piracy as well as movement of terrorists and was first asked to supply
and escort Suez once the pirates had left the ship. It picked up the crew after
Suez became unserviceable and later transferred them to PNS Zulfiqar for the
final leg of the voyage to Karachi.

If we saw the story being told on our inimitable TV channels and the drama
unfolding we wouldn`t have been at fault had we mistaken it for a great naval
victory; the sinking of an enemy armada; the wiping out of the entire maritime
wing of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan(if they had one).

No doubt it was a great human interest story, a tale of endurance and the happy
ending made it greater, sweeter. In my column last week, I pegged hope in the
country and its future to unsung acts of heroism in their thousands. But here
everyone was singing praises of heroism which wasn`t.

The media-savvy human rights activist, who contributed in no uncertain terms to
a peaceful end to the saga, talked to TV channels often, heaping praise on the
naval chief Adm Noman Bashir and ISI DG Lt-Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha, without
really explaining how exactly they had played a `decisive role` in the affair.

Yes, we are desperate for good news, for a feel-good factor. And good news the
release of the hostages was. Beyond that the contrived bits serve little or no
purpose.

A steady trickle, a drip, drip of reports of sympathy for extremists among the
ranks of the general staff has started. Given the size of the officer corps,
one cannot say it anywhere nears a deluge yet but it still makes one sit up in
concern.

Let`s first acknowledge this threat is real and also admit our own policies
have contributed to it in no uncertain terms. Then perhaps we`ll begin to deal
with it in the right earnest. And there won`t be better news than that.

The writer is a former editor of  Dawn.

abbas.na...@hotmail.com