http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2011/1065/op1.htm
22 - 28 September 2011
Issue No. 1065
Published in Cairo by AL-AHRAM established in 1875

No need for the Caliphate
Egypt should not be copying Iran or Turkey but rather rediscovering the
principles of civil government its forefathers laid down, writes Abdel-Moneim
Said

I must admit that I am a great admirer of Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the way he
steered his country towards economic development and then turned this progress
to the advantage of his country's foreign policy. Naturally, I have some
reservations with regard to some of his histrionics. Diplomacy should be more
sober, even if it engages theatrical elements.

Bill Clinton mentioned in his memoirs that throughout his political career he
felt as though he were part of an exciting, action-packed film. Erdogan may
feel the same, although he has always been a hero of a special sort, one that
acquired definition from his handling of the Palestinian cause and his visit to
Somalia. But perhaps it showed clearest when, with his encouragement, his
Muslim Brotherhood supporters in Egypt received him with the cry for the
revival of the Islamic Caliphate. Of course, the Turks couch this calling in
more sophisticated and contemporary terms. They call it "neo-Ottomanism" --
"Ottoman" because of the centuries of Ottoman/Turkish influence on the
Caliphate and "neo" because for more than a century before its collapse, the
"old" Ottoman Caliphate did not have all that much to recommend it and was
commonly known as "The Sick Man of Europe".

What Erdogan has going for him is that he has a very keen understanding of the
world we live in. Turkey is a member of NATO and it is still seeking membership
in the EU. He is Muslim, but Muslim in accordance with the secular frame of
reference that, in fact, ultimately enabled him to reach power and hoist the
banner of Islam at the same time. His knowledge of today's world and openness
to the spirit of the age helped him appreciate that Christianity flourished
when it distanced itself from the state and, also, that his party would not
have reached power had it not been for the separation between religion and the
state in Turkey.

I imagine that a good many Muslim Brothers here were shocked when the Turkish
prime minister rose to the defence of secularism rather than construing it as a
synonym of heresy. Erdogan realises that Islam offers a vast and bountiful
expanse for the heart, mind, soul and conscience and that it needs no
bureaucratic machinery, especially of the sort that some would like to use to
tame people and force them into a single mould in which there is no space for
creativity or ingenuity.

Egypt, today, is caught between the pull of two socio-political models, one
Iranian, the other Turkish. Historically, Egypt had always offered a model of
its own, to which testifies the birth of the modern Egyptian state in 1922.
However, history never reproduces itself exactly so perhaps drawing closer to
Turkey is our only salvation from Iran. On the other hand, maybe we will summon
the courage to return to our own indigenous principles of civil government as
laid down by the fathers of the Egyptian state. Imagine, in those days there
were also voices calling for the re-establishment of the Caliphate, but in
Cairo, not in Ankara.