On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 13:00, Julien Pivotto <roidelapl...@inuits.eu> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 12:52, Sylvain Rabot wrote:
> > I strongly believe that TSDB is a cornerstone of the prometheus ecosystem
> > (and not prometheus/prometheus alone) and as such should have its own
> > lifecycle.
> >
> > I also believe the original reason for the move ("Keeping them in sync,
> > versioning etc, is a pain") should have been solved by tooling.
> >
> > I'm sure at one point people using TSDB outside of prometheus will
> complain
> > about the TSDB versioning being tied to prometheus.
> >
> > So I'd like to make sure we can go back because even if the move is
> > considered safe now, I'm persuaded it only benefits internal prometheus
> > developments at the expense of the whole ecosystem.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> There are discussions in progress outside of this discussion.

Yes, I know, I still do not understand why TSDB has been moved into
prometheus before those discussions have been sorted ...

> I would like to add that golang versioning totally tolerate multiple
> modules in one git repo with different versioning schemes.
>
> https://github.com/hashicorp/consul/tree/master/api
>
> is a go module on its own, module github.com/hashicorp/consul/api
> inside the github.com/hashicorp/consul repo.
>
> They have dedicated versions (see
> https://github.com/hashicorp/consul/tree/api/v1.4.0): consul/api is
> v1.4.0,
> while consul is v1.7.0.
>
> So it looks like we could get the advantages of a single repo and a
> dedicated module lifecycle if we need to.

I must admit I did not know that but after a first quick glance I'm sure it
will become a mess. Having several go modules in the same repo, which
ultimately, if their versions differ, will no longer reflect git tags ... I
wouldn't do that, ever.

--
Sylvain Rabot <sylv...@abstraction.fr>