On 29 May 17:00, Bjoern Rabenstein wrote:
> On 28.05.20 21:30, Julius Volz wrote:
> >
> > I therefore call a vote for the following proposal:
> >
> > Allow adding exporters to
> > https://prometheus.io/docs/instrumenting/exporters/
> >  although the devices or applications that they export data for can already
> > be
> > monitored via SNMP (and thus via the SNMP Exporter). This proposal does not
> > affect other criteria that we may use in deciding whether to list an
> > exporter
> > or not.
>
> YES
>
> It would obviously be better if those exporter listing decisions would
> "just work" with best judgement and we didn't need to vote about
> individual guideline. However, the discussion in
> https://github.com/prometheus/docs/pull/1640 circled back to the SNMP
> Exporter argument multiple times. The single person on the one side of
> the argument explained their concerns, they were considered, but
> failed to convince. With the room leaning so obviously to the other
> side, one might ask why that circling back had to happen. The vote can
> help here to prune at least one branch of the meandering
> discussion. In particular with the often used reasoning that "that's
> how we did it before", it's good to know if perhaps "that's not how we
> want to do it in the future".
>
> Having said that, I do believe that we should have a more fundamental
> discussion about revising "our" criteria of accepting exporter
> listings. My impression is that the way it is done right now doesn't
> represent our collective intentions very well. Even worse, I am fairly
> certain that the process is partially defeating its purpose. In
> particular, instead of encouraging the community to join efforts, we
> are causing even more fragmentation. Which is really tragic, given how
> much time and effort Brian invests in the review work. Kickstarting
> such a discussion has been on my agenda for a long time, but given how
> my past attempts to move the needle went, it appeared to be a quite
> involved effort, for which I'm lacking the capacity. (Others told me
> similar things, which reminds me of the "capitulation" topic in
> RFC7282, where people cease to express their point of view because
> "they don't have the energy to argue against it". Votes, like this
> particular one, might then just be an attempt to get out of the many
> branches and loops created by persistently upholding objections that
> most of the room considers addressed already.)

Once we have those criterias, it means that we can have a list when you
create a PR doc:

- Documentation PR
- New instrumentation PR

Like here: https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/issues/new/choose

And that the "intrumentation PR" would lead to a template with a few
questions:

- Is this exporter blah blah blah?
- ...

So that triaging could be even faster and people would also know our
criterias.

--
Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie