On 2020-06-19 13:30, André Bauer wrote:
Hey guys,

great to see there is already some effort to move the chart out of the
stable repo :)

As i understand that "prometheus" is not the perfect fit for the chart
name, as it also installs other components from the prometheus eco
system, i'm also not the biggest fan of umbrella charts.
From our experience at kiwigrid this can lead to updating issues.
For example you'd need to update proemtheus server but because of the
umbrella it could alreadya fail and exit in the alertmanager update
step.
Therefore we switched to single chart installs now as you're able to
update single components, without the need to run the update for all
charts under the umbrella, which is much more error resistent from our
experience.

Nevertheless an umbrella chart might be good starting point for
testing Prometheus with all of its available components.

Where i see problems is to deprecate the chart in stable and change
the way the chart works in the new repo.
Maybe such changes should be done in an earlier step in the stable
chart repo?
At least doumentation of the upgrade path should be clear and
possible, without the need to have manual steps like pvc backup /
restore because the name of the pvc changed.

There are a number of existing charts in the stable repo, which are mostly for installing indivitual pieces:

        prometheus-adapter
        prometheus-blackbox-exporter
        prometheus-cloudwatch-exporter
        prometheus-consul-exporter
        prometheus-couchdb-exporter
        prometheus-mongodb-exporter
        prometheus-mysql-exporter
        prometheus-nats-exporter
        prometheus-node-exporter
        prometheus-operator
        prometheus-postgres-exporter
        prometheus-pushgateway
        prometheus-rabbitmq-exporter
        prometheus-redis-exporter
        prometheus-snmp-exporter
        prometheus-to-sd
        prometheus

I'd suggest as a first step to just move them all exactly as they are into the prometheus/prometheus-community organisation, and then look at making changes later...

--
Stuart Clark