On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 at 10:07, Ben Kochie <sup...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that PR link is incorrect.
>
> Yes, I think we should consider dropping 32-bit official builds. Unless we
> can reduce the amount of mmap'd data.

The amount of mmapping we do is only going to increase.

> One thing I noticed when running on a 32-bit machine a while back was that
> the mmap'd data is mapped multiple times for different OS threads. Setting
> GOMAXPROCS=1
> helped, but only a little.

That doesn't sound right, we do map some files more than once (particularly
during compaction) but not per thread.

> There was some discussion about doing mmap on demand, but there was not
> enough interest in 32-bit to consider spending the time.

Even if all that complexity was added and the lack of predictable
performance was acceptable, you'd still be limited to rather small data
sizes. I don't think there's much point complicating the codebase for the
sake of a Prometheus that can't handle more than a few hundred MB of data.

Brian

--
Brian Brazil
www.robustperception.io