The problem with what you're proposing is you're getting an invalid picture
of data over time. This is the problem with the original smokeping program
that the smokeping prober is trying to solve.

The original smokeping software does exactly what you're talking about. It
sends out a burst of 10 packets at the configured interval (in your
example, 1 minute). The problem is this does not give you a real picture,
because the packets are not evenly spaced.

This is why I made the smokeping_prober work the way it does. It sends a
regular stream, but captures the data in a smarter way, as a histogram.

>From the histogram data you can only collect the metrics every minute, and
generate the same "min / max / avg / dev / loss" values that you're looking
for. But the actual values are much more statistically valid, as it's
measuring evenly over time.