On 01/03/2021 07:25, Harkishen Singh wrote:
Hi Tom,

I have tried to answer the comments. Please comment on their satisfactoriness. I am happy for a call if required (or discussion gets tough).

I think, the lossless nature can be controlled by the user based on the config (limit_retries), and let the users have more control, as to whether they are happy to compromise a bit, if the retry is too much, since as such, if the retrying happens forever, then I don't think that is helpful (it will never be accepted by the remote storage). Also as Chris mentioned, some users might prefer to have few gaps and give more priority to recent data, like for alerting. So, I think this approach gives more flexibility to the user, at the same time, making it optional (or by setting the retry count high enough).

Under what situations would retries happen forever?

If the receiver is available but cannot accept the data (for example due to metric size limits or age of the samples) I would expect it to reject with a 4XX code (permanent failure) which wouldn't trigger any retries.

Alternatively if the receiver is either unavailable or broken it could result in "infinite" retries, but in that situation it feels like an age based limit instead of retry limit would be better - a short retry limit will reject samples that have just been scraped just as quickly as samples that are days old. Instead it sounds like an age based limit would be better - some systems have restrictions over what age can be ingested (e.g. Timestream) or administrators could decide older data has no usefulness (e.g. if the receiver is used for alerting or anomaly detection. While the system should still reject such old samples once it is working again a time based limit would at least reduce the network impact once the receiver is back online (no need to send tons of data that we know will be rejected).

--
Stuart Clark