On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 12:09 AM daniel.s...@ionos.com <
daniel.swarbr...@ionos.com> wrote:

> This can already be achieved with a combination of recording rules and
> metric_relabel_configs to drop the series that you don't want.

Not quite though. You first have to store all the data in Prometheus in
order to be able to use a recording rule to aggregate it down. And since
Prometheus's local TSDB doesn't have selective retention yet (e.g. keep
detailed data only for a short time), you'd then have to have at least two
Prometheus servers, one just pulling the aggregates from the other and
having longer retention...

So in general to me the feature request makes sense, but I'm not a Node
Exporter maintainer. I'd just try filing a feature request / discussion
there at https://github.com/prometheus/node_exporter/issues and see what
people say.

--
Julius Volz