On 06.10.22 14:45, 'Fabian Stäber' via Prometheus Developers wrote:

> Great question from the CNCF Slack: What's the reason why we don't allow
> Exemplars for _count in Summary metrics?
>
> What do you think? Any reason why Exemplars don't work in _count in
> Summaries? Would that be something we could consider supporting?

The _count of a Summary _and_ the _count of a Histogram (both
conventional as well as the new native ones) is essentially a counter
within the larger "structured" metric of a Summary/Histogram.

>From that perspective, it should have the option of attaching an
examplar, as a regular Counter has, too.

My speculation why it doesn't in OpenMetrics:

In an OM Histogram, the +Inf bucket fulfills exactly the same function
as the _count (spec says: "The +Inf bucket counts all requests.") So
if you would like an examplar on the _count of a Histogram, you can as
well use an exemplar on the +Inf bucket.

That obviously doesn't help in the case of a Summary, but I guess the
rationale is that Histograms are generally to be preferred over
Summaries, and therefore didn't get the thourough treatment when it
came to exemplars.

However, even if you really dislike the precalculated quantiles in
Summaries, there is still the case of a Summary without quantiles. I
think adding exemplars to such a Summary is as much needed as adding
exemplars to any regular Counter.

--
Björn Rabenstein
[PGP-ID] 0x851C3DA17D748D03