On 22/12/2022 09:39, Julien Pivotto wrote:
On 22 Dec 10:09, Ben Kochie wrote:
It was my understanding that license changes, can be done by the copyright
holder, without consent of all contributors. Because they do not hold any
copyright to the code. IIRC this is how Grafana was able to relicense from
Apache to AGPL. They did not need to get consent from all contributors.

Of course, old versions are subject to the old license, but moving from
prometheus-community to prometheus would effectively be a fork.

In this case we could do it with permission from the original author as
stated in the LICENSE file.
I did ask the question to CNCF via the service desk, if copyright owners
would be enough. They replied that we have to ask all contributors to
change the license.

Note that grafana was able to relicense because for many years they made
people sign a CLA.

Indeed. If you look at the CLA that everyone is required to sign (and Grafana have to keep proof that everyone has done so) at https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/developers/cla/ it says:

"Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, You hereby grant to Grafana Labs and to recipients of software distributed by Grafana Labs a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and such derivative works."

Which allows Grafana (the company) to do anything it likes with your code - it can be licensed in any way (commercial or open source), given to others, etc. without needing any further permission.

--
Stuart Clark