You are right, most of the time this kind de-anonymisation is extreme. And
right again when you say that there is no personal data stored in
Prometheus.

I am also not a lawyer but I know from my DPO that the national data
protection authority (NDPA) might be very very very meticulous, especially
in my domain of video processing... We had several meetings about it and we
had to review our data processing multiple time. I was just looking for a
way to delete data with a hard deadline if the NDPA say that the current
solution is not good enough (the one with storage.tsdb.retention.time
option). I think it is better to come with an answer than saying that we
did not thought about it.