On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:42 PM Colton Conor <colton.co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are exploring the option of paying for Grafana Cloud's service. In
> addition to hosting Grafana, it comes with the ability to store metrics
> from Prometheus and Graphite. The documentation says:
>
> To send data using Prometheus you need the following:
>
>    - A running instance of Prometheus.
>    - In your Prometheus configuration, add a remote_write section.
>
> So it doesn't really sound like this Cloud option actually host
> Prometheus itself, but instead just collect metrics from an onsite
> Prometheus server which then sends it to the cloud using remote_write.
>
> My question is how beneficial is this to just running our own onsite
> assuming we are going to have to install and run Prometheus anyways? Would
> the one-site Prometheus sever just not need that much storage space since
> it would remote write to the cloud, and then delete the onsite metrics?

That's one of the big benefits. The local Prometheus servers only need to
keep a short retention time. Only enough to execute alerts to your
alertmanager cluster. Another benefit is that with the external Grafana
service, query load for dashboards don't hit your Prometheus server. It
only needs to collect and run rules. This can reduce CPU and memory
requirements for the local service.

> Also, since Prometheus also supports exporting to Graphite, which is also
> supported by the cloud service, would it be better to send the metrics
> using Prometheus with remote_write, or Prometheus export to
> Graphite using carbon-relay-ng?

Definitely better to use the native Prometheus protocol.