I am a Prometheus newbie. I have a requirement like this.

I am trying to monitor file transfers in my managed file transfer system. I
get different event messages out of it. I get start/stop events, i get
transfer progress events. I want to pump all this to prometheus. After
reading for a while online. I see that prometheus data need to be a mretric
and key value pair type.

should i create a metric called stop/start events this has count of
transfers within each

then create another metric called transfer progress event.

i am planning to use Grafana to view. I havent read much on grafana either
but i am hoping it could pull and correlate events and show multiple events
in one dashboard.

i would like to see how many files flow through in a dashboard

another dashboard with transfer progress

am i going the right direction, any words of advise before i get deeper.