On 2020-07-20 14:17, Isaac Graf wrote:
I am new to prometheus and we are looking to to install it on an
existing complex production system.
It looks like we will need multiple exporters per machine- e.g.
node_exporter, statsd exporter, custom metric exporter, and some
machine types will need other exporters (such as redis exporter).
It seems non-optimal to have prometheus scrape  4 different ports on
thousands of machines.
Is there a better way to approach this?

The design of Prometheus is for applications to ideally expose metrics about their operation. Where applications don't have native Prometheus or OpenMetrics support exporters are used. These are designed to be specific to the application being monitored (e.g. MySQL or the Linux kernel).

As a result you may end up with several exporters running on a single machine, depending on what applications you have installed that don't have native metrics support.

In addition the separation over multiple exporters ensures you don't have a single point of failure causing total metrics loss (at most you'd just lose the metrics that a specific exporter was handling).

--
Stuart Clark