I'm looking at adopting Prometheus for our system, one thing we want to
monitor are incoming alarms (and alarm clearances).

Metrics of use would be:

   - Total number of active alarms
   - Rate of alarms being raised
   - Rate of alarms being cleared

The second one is confusing me a bit. Prometheus will poll at repeated
intervals, and we might change that interval. I can report the *total*
number of alarm-raises/alarm-clearances since the system started using
Counter metrics but what I am interested in is the rate of change not the
absolute value. I just want to check:

   1. Is rate of change a standard visualization for a metric e.g. a graph
   of alarms-raised-per minute/hour/day?
   2. Our system runs for months at a time, I assume the maximum value for
   a Counter is so astronomically high this is a non issue?
   3. Would it make sense to use alarms raised/cleared as labels on the
   same time-series or should they be two totally separate time-series?

Is this the right way to monitor such a metric?

Thanks.