For this specific use-case, it's understood that we wouldn't have alerting
rules as the metrics would ingested only after they've been created.  It
would be used purely for inspecting historical trends and identifying
outliers over weeks, months. etc.   I'm leaning more towards TimescaleDB as
we already have many instances of Postgres internally so it would end up
being less work to get this up vs implementing something new such as
VictoriaMetrics.

I was thinking we could simply spin up a Prometheus instance, run the tsdb
import and then have thanos sidecar upload the block(s) to object storage.
Once that's done, the prometheus instance could be destroyed as we would
always query the data from thanos query.   Given that we wouldn't be
alerting on this data, would the TSDB import still be suitable?