Prometheus stores data in a time series database, which is designed
specifically for the needs of the application. That data is stored on disk in a
variety of files and directories, including a Write Ahead Log (WAL) and set of
blocks.

Running PromQL queries is how you can see what is stored in the database.

I'm not really sure what you are asking in your second question. Prometheus is
storing everything in time series database.

One big difference between the database within Prometheus and something like
InfluxDB or MySQL is that Prometheus isn't a general purpose database you would
use with other applications. It is an intrinsic part of Prometheus, which
manages all reading and writing of data via the scraping process and query
APIs.