On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM Aliaksandr Valialkin <valy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 3:10 PM Ben Kochie <sup...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM Aliaksandr Valialkin <valy...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Could you share more details on why you think that VictoriaMetrics has
>>> scalability issues and is harder to set up and operate than Thanos?
>>> VictoriaMetrics users have quite the opposite opinion. See
>>> https://victoriametrics.github.io/CaseStudies.html and
>>> https://medium.com/faun/comparing-thanos-to-victoriametrics-cluster-b193bea1683
>>> .
>>>

>> Thanos uses object storage, which avoids the need for manual sharding of
>> TSDB storage. Today I have 100TiB of data stored in object storage buckets.
>> I make no changes to scale up or down these buckets.
>>

> VictoriaMetrics stores data on persistent disks. Every replicated durable
> persistent disk in GCP <https://cloud.google.com/persistent-disk> can scale
> up to 64TB
> <https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/disks/add-persistent-disk#resize_pd>
> without the need to stop VictoriaMetrics, i.e. without downtime. Given that
> VictoriaMetrics
> compresses real-world data much better than Prometheus
> <https://valyala.medium.com/prometheus-vs-victoriametrics-benchmark-on-node-exporter-metrics-4ca29c75590f>,
> a single-node VictoriaMetrics can substitute the whole Thanos cluster for
> your workload (in theory of course - just give it a try in order to verify
> this statement :) ). Cluster version of VictoriaMetrics
> <https://victoriametrics.github.io/Cluster-VictoriaMetrics.html> can
> scale to petabytes. For example, a cluster with one terabyte capacity can
> be built with 16 vmstorage nodes with 64TB persistent disk per each node.
> That's why VictoriaMetrics in production usually has lower infrastructure
> costs than Thanos.

* GCP persistent disk costs double that of object storage, and is zone
local only.
* Cost is four times if you want regional replication.
* GCP persistent disks don't have multi-regional replication (GCS does by
default).
* Object storage versioning makes for easy lifecycle management for
disaster recovery.
* Plus you have to maintain some percent of un-used filesystem overhead to
avoid running out of space.
* You can't shrink Persistent disks
* And we're back to manual labor required to scale.

Storing on persistent disks is a major reason why we don't just use
Prometheus for TSDB. As an instance-level SPoF, the cost of persistent
disks compared to object storage, and the toil involved.

No thanks, we're moving away from old-school architectures.