I agree, the best practice here is to have Prometheus as close to the
targets as possible. This way any WAN links, VPNs, or proxies are not
monitored as a side effect.

The remote write feature is designed for this. It can stream data to a
central service like Cortex or Thanos. Or a hosted service like Grafana
Cloud.