The difference should work - just remove the cluster from by(...) list:

histogram_quantile(0.50, sum(rate(ampq_bucket{cluster="first"}[15s)) by
(le))
-
histogram_quantile(0.50, sum(rate(ampq_bucket{cluster="second"}[15s)) by
(le))

See more details about time series matching during binary operator
execution in PromQL -
https://prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/querying/operators/

--
Best Regards,

Aliaksandr Valialkin, CTO VictoriaMetrics