On 04/03/2021 04:53, 'linlong Fu' via Prometheus Users wrote:
My case:
I have two prometheus one named top-prometheus,  another named project-prometheus. and top-prometheus has federation configure (scrape metrics from project-prometheus)
configure just like:

- job_name: "project-prometheus"
scrape_interval: 15s
honor_labels: true
metrics_path: '/federate'
params:
'match[]':
- '{job=~".+"}'
static_configs:
- targets:
- '22.2.1.2.1:9090'
labels:
project: test

Then, I meet the following problems:
 when I remove  one metrics named  alive_count in project-prometheus, I see alive_count this metrics have no data from project-prometheus web page, but from top-promethues web page, it retain this metics. after 15 minutes it shows no data. (all prometheus scrape_interval is 15 seconds )
why?  federation will cache metrics?

Federation is no different from any other scrape, so it fetches the metrics from the other Prometheus server and stores it within the TSDB. Therefore you will retain the metrics (and be able to query them) for however long your retention period is.

--
Stuart Clark