On 21/02/2023 03:29, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
Hey.

I wondered whether one can to with Prometheus something similar that is possible with systems using RRD (e.g. Ganlia).

Depending on the kind of metrics, like for those from the node exporter, one may want a very high sample resolution (and thus short scraping interval) for like the last 2 days,... but the further one goes back the less interesting those data becomes, at least in that resolution (ever looked a how much IO a server had 2 years ago per 15s)?

What one may however want is a rough overview of these metrics for those time periods longer ago, e.g. in order to see some trends.

For other values, e.g. the total used disk space on a shared filesystem or maybe a tape library, one may not need such high resolution for the last 2 days, but therefore want the data (with low sample resolution, e.g. 1 sample per day) going back much longer, like the last 10 years.

With Ganglia/RRD it one would then simply use multiple RRDs, each for different time spans and with different resolutions... and RRD would interpolate it's samples accordingly.

Can anything like this be done with Prometheus? Or is that completely out of scope?

I saw that one can set the retention period, but that seems to affect everything.

So even if I have e.g. my low resolution tape library total size, which I could scrape only every hour or so, ... it wouldn't really help me. In order to keep data for that like the last 10 years, I'd need to set the retention time to that.

But then the high resolution samples like from the node exporter would also be kept that long (with full resolution).

Prometheus itself cannot do downsampling, but other related projects such as Cortex & Thanos have such features.

--
Stuart Clark