Hello,

I have different prometheus counter per Objects.
I want to create a Stacked Bar Chart over the time, an “Acitvity per Day
Panel”.
A counter is incremented each time an object is used on the back end side.

My data looks like :
object_usage_count_total{object="tc1"} 2.0 object_usage_count_total{object=
"tc5"} 3.0

I'm using the following query :

increase(object_usage_count_total[5m])
(I’m using 5m for test purpose even if my goal is 1d)

I have the following result for the moment :
[image: image]

Which is pretty nice, it looks like what I want, except that the first
usage of an object is never shown.
For this example I used 3 time TC5 and 2 time TC1. And as we can see
there’s a total of 2 activity for TC5 and 1 activity for TC1.

[image: image]
I thought of initializing the counter to 0 before, but the problem is that
a new object can be created at any moment, and when it’s created, it is
automatically used once. The state “used 0 time” doesn’t really exist.

I have 2 questions:

Is it considered as a bug or is the behavior of “increase” like this on
purpose ?

Do you have a solution that might work in my case ?

Thanks