scrape_samples_scraped always has the labels which prometheus itself adds
(i.e. job and instance).

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Are you saying that
the PromQL query *scrape_samples_scraped{job="",instance=""}* returns a
result?  If so, what's the number?  What do you mean by "with increased
size" - increased as compared to what? And what version of prometheus are
you running?

In any case, what you see with scrape_samples_scraped may be completely
unrelated to the "high traffic" issue.  Is your prometheus server exposed
to the Internet? Maybe someone is accessing it remotely.  Even if not, you
can use packet capture to work out where the traffic is going to and from.
A tool like https://www.sniffnet.net/ may be helpful.