I'm currently focused on optimizing Prometheus for higher performance by
reducing cardinality in our setup. I'm seeking assistance in understanding
how Prometheus aggregates metrics after a label is dropped. I couldn't find
any documentation on this.

For example, consider the following metric:

response_bucket{le="0.1", status="200", path="/api/users"} = 10
response_bucket{le="0.1", status="500", path="/api/users"} = 5
response_bucket{le="0.1", status="200", path="/api/products"} = 8
response_bucket{le="0.1", status="500", path="/api/products"} = 8

Since we're not using the 'status' label in our dashboard queries, I want
to drop the 'status' label. How would Prometheus create the final series
values?

I'm using following config to drop label from specific metric

      - source_labels: [__name__, status]
        regex: (response_bucket.*)
        replacement: ""
        target_label: status