Try piping the metrics to "promtool check metrics", e.g.

    curl localhost:8080/actuator/prometheus | /path/to/promtool check
metrics

You may get a better description of the error.  If that doesn't help, then
load the metrics to a file and do a binary chop.
i.e. run the first half through promtool check metrics, then the second
half, and see which half has an error; repeat with ever smaller pieces.

Note also that metric names are not allowed to contain dots. See:
https://prometheus.io/docs/concepts/data_model/#metric-names-and-labels
https://prometheus.io/docs/practices/naming/

/opt/prometheus/promtool check metrics <<EOS
# HELP custom_jvm.threads.states The current number of threads
# TYPE custom_jvm.threads.states gauge
custom_jvm.threads.states{region="us-east-1",state="timed-waiting",} 2.0
EOS

*error while linting: text format parsing error in line 1: invalid metric
name in comment*