Thank you Roger,  Since you said the tgz file is compressed, I
re-downloaded it, and the original problem went away!  I guess it had been
slightly corrupted somehow during transfer.

Next I found that Debian (Jessie) installs an older version of PolyML (5.2)
and does not include polyc, so ProofPower fails installation. (I could see
the problem in the build.log.)

I got the source for PolyML 5.5 and built it.
Also missing in Debian are some of the libx* libraries,  but you clearly
list those in the installation instructions (thank you for that!).

Now ProofPower installs and I am a happy camper again!

I really appreciate the support you provide.  -Dave