Hi Mark,

On 15/06/17 07:05, Mark Adams wrote:
Thanks very much for that Phil.

This definitely helps but I still get failure for Poly/ML 5.6..

Installing openmotif-devel clears up the Motif problem.

Regarding Poly/ML, yes when I look closer, the failure recorded in build.log is indeed different for Poly/ML 5.5:

  echo "use\"polyml-build.sml\";" | poly > slrp-bin.log 2>&1
  polyc -o slrp-bin slrp-bin.o
  make: polyc: Command not found
  dev.mkf:174: recipe for target 'slrp-bin' failed
  make: *** [slrp-bin] Error 127

So for 5.5 it's Error 127, but for 5.7 it's Error 1.

So Poly/ML 5.5 fails as expected: polyc not found. That error code is probably from the shell.

For Poly/ML 5.7, polyc can't find the file slrp-bin.o specified as a argument. That error code is probably from polyc.

There error codes aren't particularly useful. There is usually an error message in the log file for the failing source file that gives more details about what went wrong. This is usually the last file written, which you can find with
  ls -ltr src/*/* | tail

Anyway, Poly/ML 5.6 gets further in processing dev.mkf but still fails, this time with:

  doctex  dtd017.doc
  texdvi -b dtd017 > dtd017.dvi.ldd1 </dev/null
  dev.mkf:327: recipe for target 'dtd017.dvi' failed
  make: *** [dtd017.dvi] Error 1
  rm dtd017.tex

I haven't yet applied the patch for ProofPower 3.1.w7 (which shouldn't be necessary because I'm using Poly/ML 5.6).

Correct, Poly/ML 5.6 should work fine. It looks like 5.6 is failing whilst building the documentation. Can you try the following to make sure you have the required packages installed:

  dnf install \
        gcc-c++ \
        texlive-latex texlive-epsf \
        ed \
        motif motif-devel \
        libXp-devel.x86_64 \
        libXext-devel.x86_64 \
        libXmu-devel.x86_64 \
        libXt-devel.x86_64 \
        xorg-x11-fonts-misc

and see how it goes with 3.1w7.

Incidentally, if I try building ProofPower 3.1w6 with Poly/ML 5.6, I get further still in processing dev.mkf, but it fails this time with:

  Compiling (code) imp002.sml
  dev.mkf:349: recipe for target 'imp002.ldd' failed
  make: *** [imp002.ldd] Error 1

I don't know why 3.1w6 doesn't build with Poly/ML 5.6. What does the log file for imp002 say?

Phil

Cheers,
Mark.