At 08:52 PM 7/15/01 -0700, Dennis Saputelli wrote:
>the problem with single point grounds is that they used to work
>in the current hi speed hi freq environment they don't work anymore
>(according to info in the SI list)

Right. There remain applications for nets which are maintained as distinct
but which are nevertheless shorted on the board. Jumper options are one
example, and one of the parts I posted is designed exactly for that, it has
a short on the bottom side only, and the short is narrower than the pads
and would be easy to cut. Another application is RF parts which are made
from copper, such as inductors or delay lines. On the schematic they have
two distinct pins (or more), on the PCB, as far as Protel is concerned,
they would be shorted unless you use a virtual short (or an alternative
method such as assigning a mech layer to such shorts and properly
controlling the gerber generation.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690