Under no circumstances should the Protel libraries be copied! They
are riddled with errors (I'd list them all as "unverified"). For
instance, any metric pitch component that's been created with the
footprint wizard is likely to be wrong.

The biggest hurdle I forsee is the widely differing requirements
of any single footprint. For example: a footprint for wave solder
is different from that for reflow; the IPC "worst-case" design
methodology generates overly conservative footprints; a designer
working on high density layouts will want "bleeding edge" land
pattern designs, not general purpose ones with excessive silkscreen
clearances (for example). So just with these few variations, we're
up to at least four variants of every footprint!

Much as I applaud the sentiment, I can't see a single library ever
providing a single source set of footprints.

I regularly use components that have land pattern designs tailored
to the manufacturing process; e.g. I might create an SC70-6 footprint
which is fine for the current project because I'll be using a
0.004" paste stencil thickness, however the same design may well cause
manufacturing issues if it's used with a 0.006" paste stencil!

We're going to need much more sophisticated design rules before I'd
consider using anybody else's designs (so that I can check, for
example, paste aperture ratios given a specified screen thickness)

Just my $0.02

John Haddy

*                      - or email -