> Sure but doing this removes components unique identifier and the ability
to do
> DRC against the schematic. For particular types of boards basically large
> numbers of repeating sections ( 'widebus' logic test boards) using
connectors
> mounted from the bottom side and a number of sites, its basically a mix of
> Protel generated arrays (with ' _1'  type of renumbering from PCB) and
> copy/pasted sections with user defined renumbering (added suffix)  Then
this
> gets tied back in with schematic designators and becomes basically a mess.
>
> PCB builds and renumbers arrays by adding a suffix ie    _1, _2, _3
>
> SCH builds and renumbers arrays by incrementing the final number ie R1 ->
R2

> Copy and pasting renumbered arrays in PCB gives you bizarre results like
R1_1_1
> which is hard to tie back to the schematic to maintain DRC ability.
>
> It really doesnt seem like a hard thing to get right.
>
> Clive Broome

OK, I previously misunderstood what you were trying to achieve (but it does
represent a change in topic from inverting PCBs or providing the ability to
have more layers of a paired nature than the existing four pairs).

I have an idea that someone has released an addon server which supports
pasting components with designators to match user-designated specifications.
But apart from that, it would be nice if Altium could improve upon what is
currently provided on a "built in nature" in this regard. (A Paste Array
command that not only satisfactorily designated ("free") *pads* for two
dimensional arrays, but also designated pasted components according to the
'Text Increment' setting (or still better, an additional and newly provided
'Designator Increment' setting) within the 'Setup Paste Array' dialog box,
would be a start.)

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer