Matt,

I agree, that kind of thing should be immediately looked at by Protel
programmers. I think it's a little late to complain about anything with 99SE
and expect something to be done about it. However, if a known 99SE (or 98 or
whatever) bug has propagated into DXP, then we should scream to have it
fixed.

Tony

> Exactly. This is the sort of thing I do a lot and I don't think it's
> reasonable for Protel to crash simply by cutting and pasting between
> designs or libraries. My PCB designer tells me a lot of his crashes are
> caused by copying components between PCB layouts and libraries. Seems
> to me this is a very common activity for design people to be doing -- I
> have reused sections of designs regularly since I started using EDA
> tools and I'm not going to stop now! At the very least, I think if
> Protel has a problem with something you are trying to copy/paste it
> ought to catch it BEFORE it crashes and give you some kind of error
> message (indeed there is really something wrong with the entity you're
> copying). If the data is bad, why wasn't it found out in the source
> design you are copying from? Ideally, any weird entity should have been
> identified and dealt with when it was entered into the design file.
>
> This kind of thing is pretty hard to blame on Microsoft or faulty
> hardware.

* Tracking #: 614ECD264D0F2040B0636E74FE89FA1C55FD64E3