To all...

It is obvious the major failings of DXP are no doubt due to a failure of
Altium to survey its client base to see what would be truly desired within a
new product. The 'we think you want' policy does work well when viewed
against the 'we can go away' reaction.

There *has* to be an intent to merger PCAD and Protel some point in the
future. The talk of PCAD as a high end solution is just a Linus factor. I
have done far more work in a less painful fashion with 99SE, at a tremdous
cost savings. I took the time to accept the learning curve that was not
taken as acceptable by a PCAD user. My point is, I do not like endless hot
keys. For a mechanical designer, the same evolutions exists for AutoCad
users who have migrated from Desktop to Inventor.

If my early perceptions were correct, with the Accel buy out, there was a
import engine offered as a Protel feature six months into this game. There
was also a buy-in incentive as well. I preceive there was no mass migration
to Protel because of 'the scare factor' that was all so evident when 98
users met 99. This is not the same for DXP. 99SE was/is good. Not flawless,
just good in a manner that is lean and very efficient to me. 98, while also
good never consolidated a work effort within a common, controllable,
database. This is a feature I have come to admire.

Yes, there is pin swapping within DXP. This is a horrible pox. Why would
anyone wish to declare pin 1 is really pin 5 ? The only plus within DXP is
that there is an intent to merger the SCH/PCB libraries. That is fine *if*
the user is in ultimate control, not the s/w. The fact that the DDB regime
'may' disappear means, I have to go back and police libraires and revisions
all over again. Links ? Links can be broken, confused or just simply lost.
When multiple designers manipulate a common library without a consolidation
manager, life is just aweful. All I want to say is, I need no more work.....

Like many others, I will support ATS if it means SP7 will arrive to give DXP
the time to sort out its bugs. To me, it was SP3 that accomplished much of
that for 99SE. After SP5, I saw no major improvements that affected my
designs directly. With DXP, I do not have the time to fix things I did not
want to see broke in the first place.

Fabian Hartery
Research Engineer, B. Eng (Electrical)

Guigne International Limited
63 Thorburn Road
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
A1B3M2
tel: 709-738-4070
fax: 709-738-4093
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: www.guigne.com

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy
any copies from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose
its contents to anyone. Any dissemination, distribution or use of this
information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized
and may be illegal. We cannot accept liability for any damage sustained
as a result of software viruses and advise you to carry out your own virus
checks before opening any attachment.

* Tracking #: D23846867F934845AD452A50B4E487F4813D57A0