From: "Tony Karavidas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Protel EDA Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Top Notch Talent for Troubleshooting.

> Jami, you really are becoming quite offensive and at the same time
> showing your ignorance. I looked at what you viewed and you're obviously
> talking about Denzil Crasta.

Tony, Tony, Tony, Tony, please, please, please, please, just relax . . .

My mere existance offends some people, but beyond that, I do not mean to be
offensive, or more particularly, I specifically do not mean to offend
anyone, and I apologize if I have.

But please take a step back and try and put things into perspective.

It is not a question about a particular individual or individuals and
whether or not he is a nice guy or they are nice people. It is a question
about one EDA Product which we all use and another EDA Product that we are
all being "sold" in one way or another, and the problems with those two EDA
Products and whether or not the company behind those products really knows
what they are doing, from many different perspectives. From an EDA Software
perspective. From a Technical perspective. From an Electrical Engineering
perspective. From a Programming perspective, and most importantly, from a
Printed Circuit Board Design perspective.

Let's look at Altium and Protel 99 SE and Protel DXP for just a moment. If
you look back in this forum over the last year at the "endearment
thermometer" on Altium, and problems with Protel 99 SE , and the failure to
deliver Protel DXP anywhere near on schedule, to monumental problems and
design blunders when it first arrived, to the point where things appear to
be possibly turning around and looking up, that thermometer fluctuates all
over the place. I mean it has been Hot and Cold and Hot and Cold and Hot and
Cold all over again all over the map.

Please remember that just one month ago this very day, the whole Protel user
community had revolted and was up in arms to the point that Altium was
forced to abandon ATS and apologize to the Protel customer base. How soon we
forget.

Some of the primary questions in the forums in tha past year have dealt
specifically with whether or not Altium was technically compent enough to
deliver on DXP and now that it is here, whether or not they can fix the
beast and make an honest product out of it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, they are making real good progress in the
past few weeks, and this latest service pack is really great, and blah,
blah, blah, blah . . .

I mean one day they can't write software and the next day they are the
greatest.

I mean look at the archive, look at your own posts. I mean I am not the only
guy out here pointing out problems by a long shot. One day people are happy
with Altium, and the next day they are not.

How soon you guys forget the problems of last week, or last month, and are
so  easily placated and pacified like a puppy when they throw you a bone or
two or some little scrap. This forum is a very moody bunch of people, but I
would also say very malleable, in that it doesn't take very much to make you
forget the problems of yesterday and make you a happy and faithful Altium
supporter again.

Ever since I called Altium in San Diego as a brand new customer, on a new
brand new seat of Protel 99 SE less than a week old, with a system that
crashed continually, and was told in essence to "go pound sand" by someone
who I am sure is a very very nice person once you get past the fact that
they were totally incompetent technically, and should not have been allowed
to try and answer technical questions (a problem which Altium has since
remedied), I have always had the question in the back of my mind of whether
or not all the people at Altium are really qualified to do what they do,
from a technical perspective, and also from the perspective of Engineering
Design.

Please note that there are some very good and very qualified Technical
Support people at Altium, and I have dealt with some of them, but
unfortunately, I do not believe that that level of competance and
qualification is universal.

Please note that this thread was started by me when I saw an employment ad a
week or so ago for Technical Consultants at Altium in San Diego, and
needless to say it hit a nerve, and yes I did post it here in a sarcastic
sense, making an issue of the total lack of any real qualifications required
for the position in terms of knowledge of Engineering Design Practice, or
EDA Software Applications Experience, or even knowledge of Electronics in
general. I mean duh! What's a Printed Circuit Board? What's a Schematic?

I mean forgive me for being sarcastic, truely, I am sorry, but I need to be
able to talk to someone in Tech Support who can understand my questions, and
can understand Electronic Design, and can understand what I am using Protel
for and what I am trying to do with it, so that he can understand why the
problem is a problem, and more importantly he can understand what needs to
be done to fix the problem.

So nobody responded to my original thread, but we had a hell of a related
conversation in a parallel post here in the last couple of days concerning
the the qualifications of "two year wonders" and whether or not the people
at Altium (and elsewhere) really are qualified, from the perspective of
Electronic Design Experience, to be making "rules" about what a schematic
diagram should or should not be allowed to contain.

That is not to say that there is no one at Altium that has this type of
experience, but is does raise the question of whether or not there are
enough people at Altium with this type of experience. What good does it do
to have one person at the top of a company who understands Engineering
Design when he is obviously too busy running the company to direct all of
the individual detailed efforts going into his products.

For years and years and years, virtually everyone in our industry (and I am
sure that includes almost everyone in this forum), has been complaining that
all of the software is written by people who do not know the first thing
about Electronics or Electronic Design. This is a recognized industry wide
problem, and it didn't begin with me.

With this "problem" fresh in my mind, I was cleaning up my email when I came
across my earlier post and a thought struck me (which happens occasionally)
and I wondered just what kind of qualifications Altium required of its
programmers, which prompted me to repost my original post with the new
question, which had a reply which lead me to the website at Altium, and to
the quote that I quoted.

Well, needless to say, just as expected, Altium doesn't require much.

This has absolutely nothing to do with any specific individual or group of
individuals.

This has to do simply with the fact that Altium does not appear to require
any real relevant understanding of Electronic Design, which is true to form
for the industry, but which nonehte less is a problem in the industry.

While I am sure that many will say that Altium will train these people what
they need to know about Electronic Design, unfortunately, herein lies the
problem, for they will be tought the Gospel according to Altium, and the
primary question here (and also a recent topic here in the forum) is the
validity of that Gospel according to Altium.