do you mean single layer of routed copper ?
('single sided board')

or do you mean parts only on one side and 2 or more layers of copper?

if you mean the first then the autorouter will probably not work for you

as far as crashing that is really a shame
using P6 w/ windows 2000 i find it to be very stable

with WIN98 (a few years ago) i found it to be less stable but not too
bad if you reboot once or twice a day (before it crashed!)

256m ram is not a whole lot, but it should be enough i think

since you have tried several machines i think it is time to try a
generic mouse and mouse driver ( :) )

other than that i don't know what to suggest

have you talked to Protel?

Dennis Saputelli