At 19/11/2003 01:09, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote (among other things):

(2) If any of the pads of a component are through-hole pads (on Multilayer), the component is a through-hole component.

<snip-snip>

It is rare, however, that a surface mount component would have any through-hole pads associated with it. Vias, yes, maybe, pads, no.

I must say that these statements are not entirely correct: many SMD connectors need holes in the PCB for positioning or letting the mating part through.
I regularly use a FFC connector that has pegs for positioning and strain relief. You will need two non-plated holes in the PCB to accommodate that thing.....

The most likely reason the fab house asked for the pincounts is calculation of the bare PCB price (at least, my boardhouse does use this info for that purpose): holes need to be drilled, many different sizes and/or really small ones result in greater setup/machine/handling time.
In electrical testing, SMD pads most likely need a different test setup: thru-hole pads can be accessed on both sides of te PCB while SMD pads can not, SMD on both sides will thus result in higher cost.

Just my € 0.02.....

Leo Potjewijd
hardware designer
IE Keyprocessor bv.