I think Altium's protection is decent. It's not a dongle, those break at the
worst times. I used to work in a place that had a bunch of PowerPCB seats
and once or twice a year we had a system down due to a failed dongle.

It's not a timed node locked FlexLM lock which locks it down to one machine.
(Can't run THAT at home or on a notebook)

It's a simple activation that give you a file which allows the S/W to run
indefinitely. I can install it on a couple machines and all is well. If my
copy gets out on the net, Altium knows I messed up.

I don't think activation hurts at all. Now I do dislike it the way Microsoft
did it because I can't install on more than 1 machine (even if I'm the only
one here). Apple was a lot better about having a family pack license. It
fits better with the way people use computers. (Hand-me-downs for the kids,
etc.)

Tony