From: Phillip Stevens [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 7:31 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: [PEDA] Activation

I don't have Protel 2004 yet,  so I haven't seen what is required for
activation.  Am I to understand that the new activation must be done
on-line?  On the system Protel 2004 will be running on?

Part of the reason I built my CAD system in the first place was to separate
it from the risks of my other gaming/e-mail/browser/on-line (Win98) system.
There were other reasons too - A faster system,  the move to W2K for DXP,
etc.
But when I built my CAD system,  I very purposefully left it off-line *by
design*.

All I need to tell me that I really *don't* want to go back to having
my CAD system exposed to the 'Net is to look at the number of hits in
the firewall logs (of the Win98 system),  and at the number of Virus/Trogen
/Spyware/Adware/malware programs that are out there now.  There are
hundreds of firewall hits/hour.  How long would it be before something
bad gets through?

It will be unfortunate if I now have to subject my CAD system to these
risks in order to satisfy an activation procedure.  Not to mention I'd
have to firewall the CAD system,  install a modem on it,  or somehow
get Internet traffic routed over to it.

---Phil