http://sarahinromania.canalblog.com/archives/2012/01/28/23360622.html

(Photo source: Sarah In Romania) Dozens from the Romanian diaspora assembled
this afternoon on the corner of rue St.Dominique and avenue Bosquet in Paris's
7th arrondissement in solidarity with the protests in Romania, ongoing for more
than two weeks. While many came to voice their disgust for the entire political
class along with their highly legitimate discontentment with Romania's present
government calling for president Basescu's resignation, others demonstrated in
opposition to Rosia Montana Gold Corporation's mining project in parallel with
protests in Bucharest and the Transylvanian village of Rosia Montana also
taking place today.
RMGC (80% - Canadian firm Gabriel Resources, 20% - Romanian state) plans to use
cyanide for the extraction of around 300 tons of gold in Rosia Montana, thought
to be Europe's largest deposit. The project has drawn justifiable criticism
from environmentalists, archaeologists, historians and organisations all over
the world for the mine threatens the environment in every way (ecologically and
medically), priceless Roman-era mining galleries and thus, Romanian heritage.
For more detail on this scandalous project, see HERE and HERE. RMGC has already
obtained a permit from the Romanian culture ministry but still needs agreement
from the environment ministry for the digging to begin.

Whilst those in Romania yelled "Yes to Culture, No to Cyanide!" the protesters
in Paris held up posters exclaiming "I don't want cyanide!" and "Go to
Bucharest and stop the crime at Rosia Montana!"

Amongst those demonstrating against the project were Caroline D'Assay, the
president of Pro-Patrimonio France, and Patrice Eyraud of Opération Villages
Roumains (left).

Despite the cold, flags flew, folk-songs and "Desteapta-Te Romane" rang out
accompanied by Eugen Leahu and his guitar, protesters danced the hora as much
in solidarity as to keep warm and there was even a delicious box of chocolates
circulating! Signs and banners of "Proud to be Romanian!", "Stop Corruption!"
blended with the anti-government slogans and the opposition to RMGC to form a
general protest all united in one single demand: DEMOCRACY!

Little did we know as we shouted, sang, danced and munched chocolate that the
very intersection on which we found ourselves was a historic site for protests
of Romanian dissidents and exiles in Paris. On page 43 of  'Au balcon de l'exil
roumain à Paris', Sanda Stolojan recalls the corner of rue St Dominique /
avenue Bosquet in early May, 1977:

".... We crowded into a building opposite the Embassy and up to the apartment
of friends on the fifth floor. Maria Bratianu found herself a wig and a white
cloak under which she hid an enormous megaphone. On the signal, we went down
into the street shouting slogans. At that moment, a second group lead by Monica
Lovinescu, megaphone on a shoulder-strap, joined us suddenly from a side
street. Posters were raised with the inscriptions "Freedom for Romanians!"
"Passports for every Romanian!" "Free Goma!"  The police left us alone for a
few minutes, then broke us up. We had some French people amongst us: the writer
Claude Mauriac (who got a punch on the nose) and the actress Brigitte Fossey -
both very agitated. As for the press, Le Figaro refused to mention the
"contestataires roumains", well reflecting the attitude of a certain prudent
bourgeoisie faced with communist power in Romania. The left-wing press proved
to be more obliging (Libération, le Quotidien, le Monde)."

It is overwhelming to think that today we stood exactly where Sanda Stolojan,
Maria Bratianu and Monica Lovinescu had once stood, demanding democracy for
Romania. The next time we assemble there to demand it once again, I know that
we shall be united not only in our quest and knowledge that the Romanian people
must assume responsibility for what is now and whatever will be, but also in
deeply respectful thought for that day in early May, 1977.

Raspunde prin e-mail lui