Even if only the implementation changes -- specifically, the class's memory
layout -- that will cause a binary incompatibility, especially since STL is
all templates.  It seems the debug vs. release versions of MSVC's STL are
not even binary compatible, so being compatible between two versions of MSVC
seems doubtful.