Interesting ideas.  Before we get too creative, though, let me say a word of
caution:  if an option affects the generated code in all languages (e.g. by
changing the wire format), then it can't really be a "custom" option, since
it will have to be compiled into protoc anyway.  I'm very wary about adding
such features, because while they're often very useful in certain cases,
together they make the system more bloated, possibly harming more than
helping overall (since all users get the additional bloat but only some
actually use the feature).
With that said, here's some more ideas:

* Cache keys:  If you have a service which takes a protocol buffer request
and returns a protocol buffer response with no side-effects, you could
implement a caching layer over it.  Cache keys could be generated by simply
serializing the message and hashing it.  However, your request messages
might contain some fields which should be ignored when computing a cache
key, e.g. options which only affect post-cache operations.  You could use a
custom option to mark which fields should be stripped before computing cache
keys.

* Auto interface generation:  Someone mentioned before that they'd like to
auto-generate a user interface for inputting or printing a protocol message
in a friendly way.  For this, it would be useful to have a custom string
option called "description" which is a human-readable description of the
field.