Hi all,
Just before building the 2.0.2 release candidate, I submitted a change to
make static linking the default for the protobuf libraries under MSVC.  This
seems necessary to avoid some of the problems inherent in DLLs which have
been discussed here, such as the fact that each DLL has a separate heap.
 You can still build DLLs by simply changing the libprotobuf and libprotoc
projects to be DLL projects -- instructions are included in
vsprojects/readme.txt.

Let me know if anyone objects to this.  I don't use MSVC much so it's hard
for me to know what is best for MSVC users.