Thanks!!

I also noticed that I get a permission denied error if I specify
either a valid path or "." for the --proto_path argument on the
command line. What I did to get it to work was to cd to the directory
the file is in, and then simply pass the file name to --cpp_out
without passing a --proto_path argument. The resulting code is now
compiles :)

Below is how got .proto files compiling with protoc as a custom build
step in VS:
protobuild.cmd [inputs]

protobuild.cmd is the following:
@echo off
cd "%~p1"
protoc.exe --cpp_out= "%~n1%~x1"

The reason for the .cmd file is that the [inputs] macro from VS
provides the .proto file to the command line using a relative path.
The cmd file takes the relative path and expands it out to a fully
qualified path, filename and extension and passes it to protoc.