I don't really have a stake in the design of a protobuf-based RPC format.
 However, I'd like to point out that the design philosophy we tend to prefer
at Google is to keep each layer of the system as simple as possible, and
implement orthogonal features using separate layers.  Authentication is a
great example of something that I would not want to make part of an RPC
protocol itself, but rather implement as a layer under it, similar to the
way HTTP can operate over SSL.  If you keep the system separate in this way,
it's much easier for people to avoid the overhead of features they don't
need, find alternative ways of implementing individual features, and to
reuse code in general.
Just my opinion.